Based at the Bantry Marine Research Station, West Cork
BMRS are seeking to appoint a highly motivated and proactive individual with experience in seaweed farming. You will be responsible for a series of projects on seaweeds from hatchery to on growing (Alaria esculenta, Saccharina latissima, Laminaria digitata and Asparagopsis armata), upscaling production, harvesting and processing, and management of staff.
We are looking for someone who is self-motivated, diligent and entrepreneurial. The post holder will report to the management of BMRS and be integral in strategic and operations planning.
The successful applicant will be expected to work well as part of the management team and take ownership of the seaweed activities. A multidisciplinary background demonstrating leadership skills and a scientific qualification in Botany, Marine sciences and Biochemistry would be desirable.
- To support BMRS in running its seaweed hatchery. Producing seeded string for brown seaweeds to supply BMRS commercial seaweed sites and other producers.
- To scale up the production of Asparagopsis armata in our new purpose-built production facility.
- To manage seaweed processing equipment and oversee seaweed processing.
- To oversee the deployment and harvest of seaweed on BMRS commercial sea sites.
- To identify markets and products from seaweeds and its derivatives and assist in the commercialisation of BMRS seaweed production.
- BSc or MSc in an Aquaculture related subject or equivalent industry experience
- Experience in farming seaweed species (browns and/or reds) from hatchery to deployment at sea, or in tanks/raceways
- Experience working on European aquaculture R&D projects
- Experience in engaging with stakeholders
- Experience in monitoring project plan to ensure successful completion of activities to achieve the required quality, timescales and budget targets
- Experience of identifying risks and planning, implementing and monitoring responses
- Experience in processing seaweeds
- Experience in a variety of chemical analyses (e.g. antioxidants; bio-actives)
- Experience designing seaweed production systems (e.g. tanks, bioreactors)
- Experience in supervising students and interns
- Diving and boating experience/ qualifications
- Excellent organisational skills, the ability to manage a variety of tasks simultaneously, and to organise and prioritise own work and that of othersin order to meet project milestones.
- Excellent communication skills with clear evidence of effective presentation skills, report-writing skills, and the ability to converse authoritatively and persuasively with a range of stakeholders at all levels
Other essential criteria
- The ability and willingness to travel regularly
- The ability to live and work in a rural remote area
- Full driver’s licence and car
Please apply via LinkedIn by clicking here.