Marine Institute are hiring! 📢🌊
The Marine Institute are currently recruiting a Temporary Water Framework Directive Monitoring Environmental Data Scientist (Scientific and Technical Officer – ENG III) for a 6 month maternity leave cover.
Summary of the Role:
The data scientist will primarily be responsible for quality screening and uploading all WFD field, MI and external laboratory project data to the SQL databases (biota, water and sediment), archiving and storing data. The scientist will also assist with data reporting, preparing assessments, and preparing technical reports for clients and stakeholders. Moreover, in liaison with the project team and the MI’s Information Services & Development team, the data scientist will have a key role in identifying needs and developing processes and novel tools to enhance and automate data flows and processing throughout the cycle of data collection to reporting/evaluation. This will conform to the MI’s Data Quality Framework.
The successful candidate will report to the WFD Team Leader, but will also work closely on daily basis with the Marine Chemistry team.
Please read a detailed job description here.
Educational and Professional Requirements:
- A Degree in a relevant science or an equivalent qualification.
- A high degree of computer literacy and experience in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Experience in dataset maintenance, data analysis and reporting of scientific/environmental data
- Experience in preparing technical reports and/or data products.
- The ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- The ability to manage time effectively and work to deadlines.
- Ability to troubleshoot and research technical solutions to data management issues.
- Ability to work on own initiative and progress work independently.
- Willingness to work at sea on board research vessels.
How to Apply:
A C.V. and letter of application, summarising experience and skill set applicable to the position should be emailed to email@example.com or posted to Human Resources at the Marine Institute, Rinville, Oranmore, Galway.
All correspondence for this post should quote reference MEFS/STO/WFD/Jan23
Closing date for Applications:
All applications for this post should be received by the Marine Institute in advance of 12 noon 27th of January 2023. Unfortunately, late applications cannot be accepted.
For more information, click here.