Bantry Marine Research Station - Early Stage Researcher (PhD Vacancy)
Bantry Marine Research Station are hiring! 📢🌊
BMRS are seeking applications for a #PhDStudent to join their team as an Early Stage Researcher on MSCA DN SEACHEM and will work won “Sustainable Biorefinery of Seaweed at Pilot Scale".
DC9: Sustainable biorefinery of seaweed at pilot scale
Project Title: Sustainable biorefinery of seaweed at pilot scale (WP3)
Host Institution: BMRS
Supervisor: Julie Maguire (PhD promoter, BMRS), Prof. Raf Dewil (KU Leuven)
Objectives: To develop sustainable procedures for the extraction of bioactive compounds from seaweed without generating biological waste.
Expected Results: Sustainable scaled-up production of bioactive compounds from macroalgae.
Enrolment in Doctoral degree(s): KU Leuven, Arenberg Doctoral School of Science, Engineering and Technology
Host: KU Leuven, Supervisor: Raf Dewil, Timing: M20-22, Length: 3 months, Purpose: learning advanced techniques in extraction technologies, more specifically ultrasound and microwave intensified processes.
Host: SPG, Supervisor: Rahimeh N. Monemi , Timing: M28-31, Length: 3 months, Purpose: training in the processing, analysis and treatment of multivariate data in a 3D spatial grids
- You hold a master’s degree in chemical engineering, biochemical engineering, bioscience engineering or a related field and you thrive in a multidisciplinary research environment.
- You have a solid knowledge of extraction processes.
- You are ambitious, well organized and have excellent communication skills.
- You speak and write fluent English and have the ability to work effectively and collaboratively.
- You are an enthusiastic and motivated person, ready to participate in personal training, international travel and public awareness activities.
- You have demonstrated your commitment to high quality research.
The candidate must have a degree in a relevant biological discipline, preferably in the area of biochemistry.
Desirable Experience in:
- Extraction techniques for seaweeds
- Bioactive compounds
- Completion of research activities to achieve the required quality and meeting deadlines set
- Designing and building pilot scale systems
- Statistical analysis
- Excellent organisational skills, the ability to manage a variety of tasks simultaneously, and to organise and prioritise own work with training schedule
- Excellent communication skills with clear evidence of effective presentation skills, report-writing skills, and the ability to converse authoritatively and persuasively with a range of stakeholders at all levels
Other essential criteria:
- The ability and willingness to travel regularly
- The ability to live and work in a rural remote area
For more information or to apply, please see their Linked In page here.